Facetime is a video chat application that is exclusive for Apple compatible devices. When this application was first introduced, it was only compatible with iPhone 4. It then supported iPad and iPod Touch; then later became available as a beta version for Mac. Facetime for Mac became successful. Facetime Mac is now available for download from the Apple Store for $0.99. This is available for computers running Mac OS X 10.6.6 or later. If you don’t have this application on your computer yet and you want to enjoy crystal clear audio and video quality when making video calls to other Mac users, it’s time for the download.
How to Download and Install Facetime
Facetime comes as a built in feature on iPhones. This means that download and installation is not needed. However, this is not the case with Mac computers. This is also true with other supported devices like iPod Touch and iPad. As mentioned, the application can be downloaded for $0.99 from the Apple Store.
- Launch the Mac App Store program from your dock and search for Facetime that is compatible with Mac. If it’s not on your dock, you may check it on the Software Update tool that comes with your Mac.
- Click the Buy option on the application and follow the on screen instructions to download and install Facetime.
How to Set Up Facetime
After downloading and installing Facetime, you need to set it up so you could start using it for calling or video calling other users. This requires an Apple ID. You can use your existing Apple ID or you have the option to create a new one. However, to make it more convenient for you, it is recommended to use your existing account if you have one.
- Launch the Facetime application you downloaded on your Mac computer.
- You will be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. Enter the required information. If you don’t have one yet, click on the option for creating a new Apple ID.
- Select an e-mail address that you would like to associate to your Facetime account. This is the e-mail address that will appear when you call other Facetime users.
- Make sure to use an active e-mail address as you will be sent a verification e-mail that you need to access to complete the set-up.
- Check your e-mail and click the verify link.
- You will be asked for your Apple ID. Enter the correct information.
- After verification, you can now use Facetime for communicating with other Facetime users on your contacts.
How to Make and Receive Calls on Facetime
You can connect with other Facetime users whether they are using Mac or iOS devices. When you receive a call on your Facetime account, your Mac will ring even when you are not signed in to the application. If you do not want this feature, it can be disabled on your preferences. If you have several Mac computers and you have installed Facetime on all of them, all of the devices will ring. But you only need to answer the call on one of the devices. To make a call, click on the contact you wish to call and click the e-mail or phone number associated to Facetime.